Imagine this – It is a beautiful, sunny day out. The birds are chirping, flowers are blooming in your little garden and a cool wind is blowing the heat away. You have set up a sturdy table and comfortable chairs outside with a large beach umbrella propped open to give you shade. Maybe, you even have an inflatable pool to cool off your feet.
In this pandemic, most are working from home. You are, too. Unfortunately, it is not the weekend yet. However, who says you should miss out on such a wonderful day? You can take your work outside and enjoy the day at the same time!
Only one obstacle stands your way – Wi-Fi!
Outdoor Wi-Fi Boosters- Is It Possible To Extend Wi-Fi Range Outdoors?
Currently, our workstations are not constrained to only desktops/ laptops. We have to juggle between using the phone to answer various calls and a laptop to handle everything else. And all of these actions require wireless internet connectivity. What we need to consider is how to cover our outdoors with Wi-Fi so that we can work/ play in our yards without losing out on internet speed and reliability.
Day by day, we are integrating smart devices into our lives. From remote-controlled doors, lighting to even gardening sprinklers and cleaning robots, every device needs to be connected to Wi-Fi to perform. So, you need to ensure that none of your devices go out of the Wi-Fi coverage area.
While we go through various options, you need to research and choose your own device while balancing cost, reliability, and usefulness.
Here are some tips to extend your Wi-Fi connectivity as much as possible:
- Perfect Positioning: Your Wi-Fi router needs to be positioned perfectly. Many elements such as walls, stone, glass, metal can weaken the Wi-Fi signal. This positioning is very important especially if you want Wi-Fi outside.
- Right Number of Equipment: Most of us think having only one router is enough. Unfortunately, working in the pandemic has proved us wrong. Unless you are living alone and are the only user of Wi-Fi, many must be already facing issues such as weak signal, low download/ upload speeds, dropped connections, etc. because everyone is working through a single router. Hence, you may choose to have more than one router positioned in various parts of the house to extend coverage through the entire house and even outside.
- Configure Your Equipment: You need to choose the internet speed, between a monthly download limit and unlimited download, etc. If you choose a high-end, more complex piece and you are capable of configuring everything on your own, you can choose to adjust various ranges and access points to best suit your needs.
- Outdoor Wi-Fi Boosters: You can purchase weather-resistant outdoor Wi-Fi boosters to get Wi-Fi in your garden, garage, or pool area. These are a little expensive but the best option to prefer when you. want Wi-Fi access outside.
An oft-recommended device is a repeater. Signal repeaters do extend wireless signals. However, repeaters can be somewhat troublesome as well. For example, if you install a signal repeater to get Wi-Fi outside, you will connect to the same repeater even when you are inside the house and nearer to the actual router. Unless everything is handled under a unified management system, it may not be possible to maintain the same signal strength and speed using a repeater. It is recommended that you consider your usage before opting for a repeater.
Outdoor Wi-Fi Boosters
These boosters (also known as outside access points) are usually made to withstand outside weather. They are capable of communicating with your router inside to extend coverage outside seamlessly. Firstly, you need to find an extender that is compatible with your current router. You may need to upgrade your entire network depending upon your current network capabilities. This is a financial decision you will need to undertake depending on how much or how little you expect to work outdoors.
Here’s a list of some popular Wi-Fi extenders:
- TP-Link RE650 AC2600 Dual Band Range Extender
- TP-Link RE305 AC1200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Range Extender
- Netgear EX6110 AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
- Digisol DG-WR3001N Wireless Range Extender
- Tenda A301 Wireless N300 Universal Range Extender
Each of these come with their pros and cons. You will need to choose on the basis of your usage and capacity.
Also, Read – How To Fix Chrome Privacy Error Issue In Google Chrome?
Leave a Reply