In today`s world data is the most priced possession. Hackers are continuously trying to get their hands on sensitive information which they can use later for their own gain. Due to this many, corporate companies have strict policies and have a dedicated security team to manage their data and stop hackers from accessing it. The security team is responsible for the overall protection of data for a company.
How To Encrypt Your Computer
However, hackers have now switched their focus from companies as they are very hard to crack due to the security team and are now trying to get into the personal machines of individuals as there is no security team blocking this and the security measures adopted by most people are not very stringent.
This is mainly due to the fact that not all people who use laptops or computers are tech-savvy and do not know the importance of data protection and how to do it. People should protect their data as hackers can use them to crack various codes of their internet banking or make some irreplicable damages.
There are various ways through which an individual can protect their computer, and one of them is the encryption method which is built into their systems by Microsoft, known as Bitlocker. Encryption makes it hard for the hacker to access the data, and even if the hackers get hold of the data, they won’t be able to read it as the whole data will be in encrypted form. A penetration test, also known as a pen test, is a simulated cyber attack on your computer system designed to detect exploitable vulnerabilities. This test can also help prevent data breaches.
How to use BitLocker in Windows for encryption
- Log in to your laptop or computer and make sure you have logged in through your admin account (if this is a home laptop then most likely it’s just the same account)
- Once laptop has been started click on Start 🡪 Settings 🡪 Go to the option of Update & Security 🡪 select Device encryption
- In the Device encryption option click on Turn on
- If you are not able to do this with the above method then you should click on Start and directly search “Manage Bitlocker” and you will be directed to the Encryption page.
How to Encrypt MAC OS
- Find the logo of Apple on upper left side of the screen
- Go to System Preferences 🡪 Security and Privacy and then choose the Fire Vault option.
- There will be lock icon on the bottom left side of the window click on it and you will be prompted for username and password of the device, kindly enter the same.
- Select the option to turn on File Vault
- Many a times people forget their own password, there is a recovery method which you can choose in this tab for the same.
- Once done click continue and finish. The device will start encrypting all your files and you can work on the device in the meantime.
There are many third-party applications that can also be used for encrypting your whole device or just some folders in the device as well. This software sometimes has better features than the built-in encryption methods. Some of these software’s are free while for some you have to pay an annual fee to get the premium features
The most popular software’s for encryption are:
- Vera Crypt
- File vault 2
In a recent survey conducted it was found that almost 80% of private and home laptops and PC are fully vulnerable to attacks and can be easily penetrated by hackers. This is due to the fact that many people think that there is no sensitive information on their machines but that is not the case. Hackers can get all your information from your browsing history or by remotely installing some software on your device, which will give your username and password for your banks directly to the attacker.
If your device is encrypted then hackers cannot access any of the software or any of the data associated with your laptop. Encryption doesn’t take much time to happen on the device and people can work on their device when this happens. Once enabled even if you add new files to your device, it will automatically get encrypted.
You May Read More: The Problems With Machine Learning | More To Know!