Google Chromecast is a powerful, nifty little device that converts a TV or any display monitor with an HDMI port into a smart device that can interact with your phone/ tablet. It is a streaming device that you can use to stream your favorite movie or any other media anywhere you go. You use your phone to tell the Chromecast what content to cast and then Chromecast uses its own connection to retrieve that stream in the best quality it can. For example, the Chromecast Ultra (introduced in 2016) offers 4K streams.
How Can We Install Kodi On Google Chromecast?
Now that we are stuck inside our homes due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we might not be able to enjoy all our movies, videos, and other media on the big screen. With Chromecast, we can cast whatever we want on the big screen. It is also supported by Amazon, Netflix, Google (Browser), YouTube, and many other applications making Chromecast, a great platform for streaming.
With Chromecast, you can stream all your content to any display monitor. However, how do you organize the vast media in your library?
This is where Kodi comes into the picture. Kodi is one of the most popular and versatile customizable media players in the market today. It is used to store digital content in one place. It can also be used to download and access live digital TV and music streams from around the world.
And the best part about this? It is 100% free! Kodi is free to download and uses open-source software meaning it is constantly changing, adapting, and upgrading new features. It is highly customizable – from app skins to menu options, in-app controls and a hoard of other features can be changed to fit your needs.
Kodi might sound kind of hinky but don’t worry. It is completely legal. However, due to its open-source nature, some add-ons may provide access to illegal or banned streams. However, we urge users to never use Kodi to access illegal/ banned streams.
Now that we have the warning out of the way, let’s learn how to install Kodi on your Chromecast that will open you to a world of streaming opportunities.
Using desktop/ PC
- Make sure your Google Chrome browser is updated to the latest version. Download the latest version of Kodi. Depending on your computer, you may need to download the Chromecast extension.
- Open Chrome. Right-click on the menu option at the top-right corner. Scroll down to ‘cast’ and click on it. Choose ‘cast screen’ from the drop-down list. In the small drop-down menu, choose ‘Cast entire screen’.
- Your computer will cast the entire screen. Now, you can use Kodi as you wish.
- Download the Chromecast app on your phone.
- Open the Chromecast app, choose ‘menu’ and select ‘Cast screen/ Audi.’
- You will find a step-by-step, very easy process to download Kodi on Chromecast.
However, this will drain much of your phone battery.
Even though Kodi is legal, it is not possible currently to stream Kodi on Chromecast with an iOS device. Apple is very strict with third-party content and Kodi is not allowed till now. Hence, you will not be able to use Kodi via iOS devices such as iPad, iPhone, or Mac.